Having the knowledge and with the support that a personal trainer can provide you is an excellent opportunity to make the most of the time you dedicate to your workouts. Talking with him and solving all your doubts is basic to take advantage of this advantage that you have at your fingertips. Take note of the questions you should not ask your personal trainer and that we reveal below.
Especially if you start at the gym or it is the first time you have an exclusive coach for you, surely you will raise important issues related to both the training and experience of the professional, as with the training itself.
What should you ask your personal trainer?
Before starting the training, be confident and ask your personal trainer everything you care or want to know. It is important to start, on the right foot, a relationship that will undoubtedly help you to achieve the goals you have set for yourself:
Training, experience and training methods
Asking your trainer about his professional career and his way of working is essential to know what a personal trainer should have and know if he is the right person to plan and follow your training. Among the possible issues you can include:
- What is your training? It is not essential that a personal trainer have a specific degree, but it is advisable that you have studies related to physical activity and sports (if you have completed a Degree, better). Ask your trainer, also, if you have basic knowledge of anatomy and nutrition, important in two fields: when it comes to preventing injuries and to establish the most appropriate diet in your case.
- How your work method and what is your training philosophy? It is a key question, because each monitor trains in a certain way. For some, motivation and perseverance are fundamental pillars, although progress more slowly. Others, on the other hand, want to offer their clients fast results and demand total commitment when it comes to fulfilling their hard indications. Know the method your potential coach follows and decide.
The above are preliminary questions that you should clarify before choosing your possible personal trainer. If your profile fits your expectations, it’s time to focus on the specific questions about how your training will be in each session:
- What routine would you choose for me? Of course, it is not a fortune-teller and before asking the question you will have to discuss your goals and talk about your habits related to sports. Learn well about the planned routine: training days, duration of the sessions, essential exercises, intensity, repetitions … the more details you know about your personalized training plan, the easier it will be for the objectives of your coach and yours to coincide.
- When will I see the first results? It is a question you must ask your personal trainer to avoid false expectations. Make clear what your goal is: lose weight, increase resistance, gain definition … and ask for professional information about the different stages of training you will carry out and about the approximate time when you will notice the first satisfactory results. A good professional of the training, will know how to calculate approximately.
- How and where do I start? We know that the first days of training are always the most complicated, so do not hesitate to discuss with your personal trainer any question that concerns you, from the most appropriate team that you will need, to the ideal diet that you should start follow according to your objectives.